...if I'm trans or genderqueer?

If you are exploring what gender means to you, and you think you might benefit from chatting with someone in our office, we invite you to reach out to us.

The following information may be helpful to those who identify as trans, genderqueer, gender non-binary, or who are considering a gender transition. 

Some questions you might have:

Is gender inclusive housing available to me?

Yes! Gender inclusive housing is now available as a housing option to anyone at the College. Visit our page on gender inclusive housing to learn more.

Which restrooms may I use?

Harvard University includes gender identity in our non-discrimination statement, so people who use restrooms aligned with their gender identity are protected by the university. Furthermore, there is an ordinance in Cambridge and Boston that requires businesses to allow a person to use a bathroom aligned with their gender identity. If you face any hostility on campus related to your gender identity or expression and need immediate support or want to report the incident, you can reach out to HUPD at (617) 495-1212.

How do I access gender-affirming healthcare?

Surgery: Harvard's Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan covers gender-affirming surgeries (upper and lower). 

Hormones: Healthcare providers at University Health Services (UHS) are familiar with hormone therapy and have experience working with trans students. After speaking with a provider about your desire to pursue hormones, they will go over a consent form detailing the effects hormones may have on your body and will discuss necessary testing and follow-up appointments. Generally a referral to an endocrinologist is not needed, but the provider will discuss your specific needs based on your medical history.

We acknowledge that navigating the ins and outs of health care converage can be daunting, so please feel free to reach out to us for support.

How do I change my name on student records?

Information provided by the Registrar's Office. Click here for more information.

How do I change my name on student records? 
You may change your official name on the student record once you have legally changed your name by completing this form and attaching supporting documentation. You may change your chosen name at any time via my.harvard. If you need a diploma or transcript showing your preferred name please visit our office on the 4th floor of the Smith Campus Center or email us at transcript@fas.harvard.edu. If you have concerns about your gender identity matching your credentials but have not changed your legal name please check in with the Registrar's Office for assistance.

How can I use my chosen name on my degree?
You may update your chosen name at any time on my.harvard by clicking on the pencil next to your name in the personal information tab. 

Will faculty and staff see my chosen name and pronouns on my.harvard?
Yes. Faculty and staff will see only your preferred first name on my.harvard now and on course rosters by Spring 2016. If you provided gender pronouns those will also be visible on my.harvard now and on course rosters by Spring 2016. We make this information available to other users of student information, but it is up to those other offices to take this information and to make it available in their systems. Therefore, some places that access student information may draw on official name rather than preferred first name. Should you have any concerns or issues with this process please contact Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.

Who has access to my legal name? 
We make preferred name available to other offices but it is their responsibility to manage their information systems. This means that some offices may use your official name in lieu of your preferred name. However, faculty and staff with access to my.harvard and course rosters will only see your preferred first name and official last name. Administrative users in our office and offices such as the Housing Office can view all names. If you have questions or concerns please contact Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.

Can my Harvard ID reflect my chosen name?
At this time only the official name can appear on the HUID card. However your official name can be derivative of your legal name (e.g. initials as opposed to the full name). Contact the Registrar's Office for this option. The reason that Harvard Campus Services requires legal name is because they need to verify a student's legal identity when issuing a Harvard ID card and the name has to match your government-issued identification. If you have concerns about this from a gender identity perspective please contact either Mike Burke, Registrar, to discuss options.

Is there a support group for trans students?


1st and 3rd Thursdays from 5:30 – 6:30PM,
9/19, 10/3, 10/17, 11/7, 11/21, 12/5
September 19th-December 5th 2019

This is a confidential support and psycho-education group for undergraduate and graduate students who identify as transgender, gender queer, non-binary, gender non-conforming, or questioning. This group provides a safe and affirming space to build community, share experiences, ask questions, and gain information. Topics include social and legal aspects of gender transition, coming out during college, navigating family issues, medical interventions, physical and mental health, dating and relationships, coming out in internships/job settings, and more.

For more information please contact Brandin Dear, LICSW at bdear@huhs.harvard.edu or by calling 617-495-2042.

Is there a student organization for trans students?

Trans Task Force (TTF)

TTF is a community that centers trans and gender non-conforming people. Come to our Sunday meetings to hang out and have a nice time, and come take the streets with TTF at actions and protests. All are welcome; no identities assumed!

Subscribe to the TTF listserv at https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/transtaskforce.

Facebook | Email

Who do I talk to if I've been discriminated against based on my sex or gender?

There are a number of possible resources you can turn to if you feel you've been harassed or discriminated against based on your gender and/or sex. You are, of course, welcome to come to us at the Office of BGLTQ Student Life—we are happy to talk to you about your experiences, and to help connect you with resources that can meet your needs. Additionally, the staff at the Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, the Title IX Office, Counseling and Mental Health Services, and the peer counseling groups are available to speak with you and to help you process your experiences.

Some additional resources include, but are not limited to, the following:

​​​​​​​After speaking to any of the advisors mentioned before, you can continue to pursue the matter through informal mediation and conflict resolution in conjuction with the Title IX Office or the Office for Dispute Resolution, or through filing a formal complaint and involving the administrative board. Additionally, you might consider pursuing a No-Contact Order, a Cease-and-Desist Order, a No Trespassing Order, or an Abuse or Harassment Prevention Order from HUPD or the Middlesex County courts.

Please know that we at the Office of BGLTQ Student Life are a resource in situations where you feel threatened or discriminated against. Additionally, we can connect you with appropriate resources or help you through the process.


Everyone is welcome in our fully accessible office space! We are located in the Lower Level of Grays Hall, through the rear entrance (facing Wigglesworth). If you have any concerns about accessibility, please reach out to us at BGLTQ@fas.harvard.edu.